Gerry Kho Architects = 15 years old
3×3 House was awarded in the Architecture Awards 2021 under the Residential Architecture – Multiple Housing category by the Australian Institute of Architects! Comments from the jury below:
“What a surprise this development is! A restrained site and unusual brief has provided the architect an opportunity, which he has cleverly resolved using the Japanese idea of inward living. Carefully crafted interior spaces, warm finishes and bespoke cabinetry take compact living to a new level.
A north facing atrium provides valuable light and ventilation across the 3 levels of the building, making the small spaces feel larger, but still imbued with tranquility. The jury thought this a daring project for a Western Australian market whose norm is usually “bigger is better”
Not too shabby considering the other contenders were much larger practices with significantly larger projects and construction budgets. Underdog once again! woof woof!
Funny aside, congratulations to the other winners and well done to all entrants this year. The past couple of years have been quite challenging in the industry so to produce quality work of high caliber is already an achievement.
We’d like to thank our client, IE House, for both the opportunity to work together and for the joy of designing and constructing this development. The result speaks for itself.
Here’s the link https://gkarchitects.com.au/projects/3×3-house to the project on our website if you’re interested in viewing more photos and learn more about this development.
Just a shameless plug – our recently completed 3×3 House was entered into the WA Chapter Architecture Awards 2021. Our presentation to the jury was last weekend and from what we’ve seen, 3×3 House is the smallest development competing in the Multi-residential category amongst large apartment complexes by large local and international firms.
We are now launching our building company under the GK brand – GK Master Builder Pty Ltd [BC103601]! We offer an alternative complete building service for our clients from initial concept to handing over of the keys.
w h y ?
- efficient and convenient – clients will deal with less parties and there won’t be a need to shop around for builders hence saving time
- stay true to design intent with less compromises
- smoother process between design, documentation and construction phases
- flexibility + adaptability during construction – construction decisions can be made immediately on site when needed by the same person who designed it so solutions will remain consistent with design intent
- direct line of communication between the architect-builder and subcontractors hence saving time during construction
- direct access to subcontractors also means better quality control and avoids major defects to be rectified at practical completion
- reduced or even avoid variations
- etc etc
w h a t ?
- single residential [single to multi-storey]
- multi-unit developments
- commercial buildings e.g. workshops, warehouses, offices etc
- fit outs e.g. retail, food & beverage, medical/dental clinics, showrooms etc
- extensions, additions + upgrades [residential + commercial]
Along with our other arms – Gerry Kho Architects [GKA], GK Property Developments [GKPD] Pty Ltd for subdivision + lot design services, GKA Products for architectural products + materials, and Mado Insulated Glazing Pty Ltd for the supply and install of double glazed windows + doors, we are now a true one-stop-shop!
Another one under construction right now! https://gkarchitects.com.au/projects/ie-house .
After a lengthy DA and having to comply with strict construction requirements of a fire zone of FZ, this project is finally under construction https://gkarchitects.com.au/projects/view-st-residence . Keep an eye on this site for more updates!
Gerry Kho Architects just turned 12!
A big thank you to our clients, consultants and builders for the support and collaboration over the years. We look forward to working you again in the coming years.
An advanced heads up! We’re taking leave from Friday 21st December 2018 and we’ll be back on Monday 7th January 2019. Any urgent matters can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org and messages can be left on our office mobile +61 403 980 117. Parcels can be delivered to PO Box 1389, Booragoon, WA, 6954.
I’ve resumed my teaching role at Curtin University this semester on Tuesdays of every week. If you need to contact me, please send an email to me at email@example.com . Alternatively, you can text me or leave a voice mail on +61 403 980 117.